Saturday, April 16, 2011

Super Skull Cake Saturday

Melanie O'Flynn, a.k.a.- St. Mary MacKiller, rolls into this Super Saturday with some astounding skull cakes. Mary writes, "I'm a cabinetmaker, carver, derby girl, and writer who enjoys a bit of cake making!"



"Although not a 'found' skull, I made this cake for my sister-in-law-to-be, Angie, for her birthday. It's based on different styles of Mexican skulls, with a twist."



"All three are mudcakes: chocolate, caramel and white chocolate. They were done in a rush and had to be transported over miles of rough road and bush track to a mountain hideaway for a Mexican fiesta (in the Australian rainforest!)."



"And, although he's not a skull yet, the dragon at the end is on his way to becoming one! (My son, Alby, wanted a severed dragon's head for his birthday!)."



If you're ever in my corner of SW Michigan then I'll definitely celebrate my birthday with one of your cakes no matter what time of year it is. I couldn't keep from showing the dragon head either. That's some impressive gut work! If these tasted as good as they looked then you must have had many, many compliments. Let me give you one more and say "thanks" for cutting us a slice.


Skull Appreciation Day Daily Button Giveaway
To be entered in the drawing just leave a comment below stating: what kind of skull cake you would have for your birthday.

IMPORTANT: Don't forget to include a way to contact you (either an e-mail in the post OR make sure your Blogger profile has an e-mail link for you on it).

NOTE: If you're reading this on Facebook, be sure to leave your comment on the original Skull-A-Day.com post if you want to be actually entered in the contest

7 comments:

Ronald said...

Instead of one large skull cake for my birthday, I think I would like to have a couple dozen smaller cupcake size skulls so that everyone who celebrates with me can have his or her personal skull to enjoy.

Tricia said...

I would want one or all of the cakes shown above! They are all way beyond amazing!

fogmama said...

Oh, any of these Calacas would be great for me!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the day of the dead cakes!

pingirl9 said...

I like the first one - with the bugs. does anyone make glow in the dark frosting? I would like mine to glow in the dark please!!

Divaeva said...

most awesome - great ideas for my birthday cake request for August.... love the be-headed dragon too!

Anonymous said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments! At the moment I'm trying to devise a way to make a skull cake with a removable cranium so we can scoop out lovely grey/pink and bloody brains from inside - for my son's birthday...I'm thinking molded thick white chocolate...