Thursday, July 1, 2010

Dia de la Abby: #5 - Oil Pastel Skull

When I was working on the last skull, this was an image that popped into my head for this week's piece. I wanted to make a skull that looked like it was sinking into a lily pad, surrounded by other lily pads. This idea was inspired by the Hans Christian Andersen tale of "Thumbelina". Specifically, the part where she meets the frogs. The illustrations of that part are always beautiful with lily pads and water creatures.


With this idea in mind, I had to pick a medium to use, so I chose oil pastels. Like last week, this is another medium that I haven't work with in many years. Unlike last week, this is a medium that I haven't found to be easy to work with...and this time was no different. Overall the results are still very rough, but looking at famous pieces of art using oil pastels, that seems to be the general result. Overall, I'm happy with it. The use of my skull model is very helpful to create a skull in different positions and I'll definitely be using it again for more pieces.


For this week's skull, instead of a tutorial, I have a few tips on using oil pastels.


Every week in the 4.0 year, I will be post my own Dia de la Abby posts as well as a tutorial with instructions on how I made my piece. Hopefully you feel inspired by my posts just as I was by Noah's Skull-A-Day 1.0 daily project.

No comments: